Thursday, September 14, 2006

I finished reading Desirable Daughters by Bharati Mukherjee. I’m going to give it to Ellen who is here visiting. It was pretty wonderful. It is the story of an Indian woman, a little younger than myself, who is raised traditionally. Her arranged marriage brings her to Stanford and her husband becomes a tech tycoon. She is bored, gets a divorce and starts a less traditional life in San Francisco with her 16 year-old son. There is some weird intrigue and mystery, which interweaves with her relationships with her two sisters. Lots of fun ‘comparing Indian life to American stuff.’ I find the mystery to be the weak part. I loved the scenes where she visits her older sister in suburban New Jersey and they go to Jackson Heights. Ellen has taken me there to the Indian shops and restaurants.

The author, Bharati Mukherjee, is a professor at UC Berkeley. Yay! And she has written several other books so I have more to look forward to. Now I’m going off the Indian track and I’m going to read Hotel World by Ali Smith because I loved her book last year, The Accidental.

I haven’t posted a new photo because I love the last one so much. I will soon

No comments: